My hair is an ongoing battle for me. I stopped relaxing my hair in 2008, and have been working to keep it straightened since. There are so many processes for straightening coarse hair, and I’ve gone to the salon and had it done as well. Both methods work amazingly, but when I do it myself I find a sense of accomplishment of being able to have complete control of my hair.
I’ve gotten my routine down to a science and I do this every 2 weeks or so. In between, I try not to put any heat on my hair (I wear a lot of buns in the meantime) and keep my hair looking decent for work. Here’s a rundown on how I straighten my hair! BTW I’m open to any suggestions on products or styling tools!
1. I shampoo my hair with Doo Grow Tingling Gro Shampoo. I really love this stuff, it’s a DEEP cleaner and lifts all dirt from my strands. It leaves my hair squeaky clean after one shampoo!
2. I then do a second shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo to put back any oils the first shampoo removed. I’ve recently been using Crème of Nature Detangling Conditioning Shampoo. It smells great and makes my hair feel like butter.
3. I then comb through a thick conditioner to coat my strands. I’m not picky on conditioner because I literally want to try them all! I have been using Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner I put a TON on my hair to coat every strand, and comb through with a wide tooth comb. I let it sit on for about 30 minutes to penetrate.
4. After 30 minutes I take a shower. I take it to do a final 10 or so minutes of steam with the conditioner. The steam helps the conditioner soak into the hair more and really makes a difference! Then I rinse the conditioner out in the shower. This is my favorite part of the process because It’s so great to just stand under the showerhead! ahhhhhh
5. I towel dry my hair afterward just squeezing the hair no rubbing! and section it off into 6 sections. This makes blow drying easy and helps to tame the wild beast that is my afro at this point.
6. I then take my blow dryer on high heat and just dry my hair section by section. I start by just floating the dryer over my hair to get it about 98% dry. Then take a vent brush with the nozzle attachment and brush it dry rounding out the ends. This takes the curl pattern out of my hair for a sleeker look. I pin each section back up after drying and add a couple of drops of oil to the ends of my hair. The sections will be needed again.
7. After my entire head is try, I take a thicker hair oil and oil my scalp. This is to prep for the “pressing” I do with a Hot Comb to ensure my hair is sleek at the root. Then I use my hot comb (I’m so old school, I put it on the stove!)
8. After pressing, I use a small rat tail comb along with my flat iron to iron my hair piece by piece. I know this seems like a lot of heat, but when done correctly I won’t have to put heat on my hair for about two weeks. After flat ironing, I spray with a light coat of oil sheen. Perfection!
Anyone else have a fool proof routine for hair?